Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Shopping Trip

The weather really didn't cooperate with our plan to go to the beach; thunderstorms were in the forecast, so we decided not to risk it. I am someone who thought I'd never dress up my dog. But Jordan doesn't have a whole lot of hair and easily gets chilly in the cold weather. So, it started with one coat, then a sweater, and then there was a mini-wardrobe. I am not sure if it's her dog show past, but Jordan is incredibly tolerant about wearing clothes. She will let me dress her in nearly anything! Usually, it's all about keeping her warm and comfy during the winter, but a few years ago, we got her a Halloween costume. Last year, we found this amazing pig costume, which I just could not resist. Of course, we had to get costumes for the other two dogs. We did a photo shoot with all three (which you can see on Facebook), and it was lots of fun.

Today, we decided to go shopping with Jordan for this year's Halloween costume. Of course, once she arrived at our local pet store, she wanted to check out all the yummy treats. She has high standards, so she is drawn to the organic, homebaked goodies. We let her sniff out her favorites, we bought them, and then we let her indulge in whatever she wanted.
She also picked out a GIANT bone for Reggie Love and Harley.
Next up, we checked out all the costumes. She tried on a sheep (or ram?) costume which definitely had potential.
There was also an interesting inch worm.

Colten liked the penguin, but we couldn't try it on her. There was also a very strange bus with peace signs all over it. It just felt strange dressing my dog as a hippie ride to Woodstock! I was grooving on a dinosaur costume, but we could not find it in her size.

In the past, we have kept Jordan on a pretty strict diet since it's very easy for her to gain weight after one trip to her dogsitter (who spoils her with treats) and lots of food upsets her delicate tummy. We've given that up, letting her eat as much as she wants this week, so she's definitely gotten chunky! Boston Terriers are not easy to fit into dog clothes in the first place, and we wanted to make sure her thick little body fit in the costume. So, the dinosaur wasn't going to work. What did we end up with? Well, you'll just have to wait and see.

We picked up some dinner for the humans, and Jordan was getting fussy after being in the car and making so many different stops. Halfway home, she finally fell asleep in my arms, nuzzling her muzzle against the crease of my elbow and breathing warm air into my skin. I managed to keep her sleeping when I brought her inside and parked her bundled up on the couch to continue sleeping.

1 comment:

  1. I love dog costumes. My school is across the street from Martha Stuart's studio, and last year, they had an episode where people could bring their dogs in for Halloween! There was a grayhound dog dressed like a Greyhoud Bus!

    I was hoping there would be another show like that this year, but no dice.

    Can't wait to see Jordan and the gang's costumes!

    ReplyDelete